Nick Smith

Working for you in Blaenau Gwent

How I can help

What I can do for you as a Member of Parliament

As an MP I am here to represent everyone in Blaenau Gwent – not just the people who voted for me.
My work is split between Parliament and the constituency.

Working for you   

If you are facing any issues you think I could help with pick up the phone and get in touch straight away. My staff and I have experience in dealing with a range of problems from benefits and housing to taxation issues and dealing with the Child Support Agency. 
Please contact the constituency office straight away on 01495 313167 or e-mail to highlight your issue so that my casework team can help.
We can assist constituents in a number of ways, and can write on your behalf to the relevant department or to the appropriate Minister. These steps can go a long way to providing a solution to many problems. However, I will not always be able to get the desired solution to every individual problem: nor will I be able to support every cause.
When I am home in Blaenau Gwent I hold regular advice surgeries, often in local supermarkets, so if you see me out and about come over and let me know what I can do.

In Parliament  

There are 650 Members of Parliament, elected from constituencies across England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. I was elected to Parliament in 2010 as the Member for Blaenau Gwent, the area where I grew up.
In Westminster MPs hold the government to account by asking questions to ministers in Parliament, taking part in debates on matters affecting their constituents, and voting on the laws of the land. The role of an MP is to stand up for their constituency and constituents so please write to me or get in touch about any any issues you feel passionately about.
MPs may also be members of committees examining new laws or the work of Government departments. Some may have a role as a minister in government or spokesperson in opposition. I am currently a member of the Public Accounts Committee, which scrutinizes government spending to make sure taxpayer’s money is not wasted, and Parliamentary Private Secretary to the Shadow Foreign Secretary, Douglas Alexander MP.

How I can help you 

MPs can help their constituents by advising on problems, making representations on their behalf, representing constituents' concerns in Parliament on national and international issues and of course highlighting local concerns.
In Wales matters such as health, education and local transport are devolved to the Welsh Assembly and it may be better for you to contact our Assembly Member, Alun Davies, who can be contacted at:
Telephone:   01495 311160
Assembly Address:   National Assembly for Wales 
                                Cardiff Bay
                                CF99 1NA

Similarly problems with local authority services can be raised with your local councillor. However this should not put you off contacting me about these issues if you feel I can help.  

MPs can only act on behalf of their constituents. To check you are my constituent please click here and enter your postcode.

The Labour Party will place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better.

Please read this to review the updates about which cookies we use and what information we collect on our site.

To find out more about these cookies, see our privacy notice. Use of this site confirms your acceptance of these cookies.