Nick Smith MP requires a senior caseworker for his constituency office in Brynmawr, Blaenau Gwent.
The role will involve providing advice and guidance to constituents on a variety of issues through liaison with Government agencies and others to resolve matters effectively and efficiently; knowledge of the UK benefits system would be advantageous.
The role is varied in scope with the main emphasis on processing casework for the Member which can at times be of high volume and requires strong administration skills with a methodical approach.
The role is full time and office based; the person will be required to attend meetings with the Member on an ad hoc basis. There will also be an element of community engagement work within the role.
2-3 years previous experience of dealing directly with members of the public in an advocacy/advisory role is required along with strong administration and ICT skills.
Please send CV and covering letter to: email@example.com clearly marked ‘Senior Caseworker Application’ (CV to include 2 referees).
Closing date for applications: Wednesday 1st November
Interviews will be held on Friday 10th November
Salary range £ 28K depending on experience
Fixed Term leading to permanent
- Provide advice and support to constituents on a variety of issues through liaison with Government agencies, the voluntary sector and others to resolve matters.
- Provide information, advice and support for individuals on a range of financial, health, housing and other issues.
- Liaise with the appropriate Government agencies, the voluntary sector and others to resolve matters for constituents.
- Draft correspondence and manage constituency diary
- Attend surgeries and other meetings to assist the Member in dealing with constituents’ issues.
- Deal with daily queries from members of the public by phone or in person, taking the appropriate initial action to resolve, document or escalate their concerns or enquiries.
- Gather relevant information from constituents in order to progress or close the case.
- Manage own caseload and progress of casework, ensuring all cases are logged updated with any actions taken and outstanding queries are followed up, with urgent cases reported to the Member.
- Draft responses or respond to constituents on any issues raised on behalf of the Member.
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of relevant guidelines/legislation as appropriate in dealing with casework. Knowledge of the UK benefits system.
- Ensure cases are dealt with in a sensitive and confidential manner.
- Analyse patterns of enquiries and produce reports.
- Ensure records of contact with constituents are kept, with details of each case by adhering to the Data Protection Act principles and respect the confidentiality of data at all times.
- Undertake general administrative/secretarial tasks e.g. managing the diary.
- Assist with the work of other colleagues as required and communicate appropriately with internal and external contacts.
- Competent use of IT including casework management systems, Microsoft Office package, email and internet to support the above.
- Responsibility for updating Social Media sites and for maintaining website
Any other duties related to the post and appropriate to the pay band as directed and agreed by the Member.